Is D 0.163 D 1.0?

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Mon Jul 24 08:07:07 PDT 2006

Dave wrote:
> Don Clugston wrote:
>> Georg Wrede wrote:

>>> This sounds quite reasonable.
>>
>> I agree. 0.163 seems like a solid feature base to build 1.0 libraries
>> around. But I wonder how long Walter will be able to restrain himself
>> from adding new features; I think he'd get bored after a dozen
>> releases containing nothing but bug fixes. <g>
>
> I'm actually hoping that one of the reasons for releasing 1.0 now is
> because Walter wants to get to work on 2.0 <g> (Not that 1.0 isn't good
> enough, just that it's fun to "play" :))
>
> I'm curious - are there really any "show stopping" type bugs out there
> for v1.0? By show stopping I mean bugs that completely prevent a given
> design pattern allowed by the current language spec.

Shared library support on Linux? Although that's DMD only, its not a
problem for GDC AFAIK.

Looking through Issuezilla, DStress and the Pending Peeves, most of the
bugs seem to be pretty obscure. There are some serious ddoc bugs, but no
stand-outs in the compiler itself.

Oskar's comments about IFTI are true, although I wouldn't classify the
limitations as a bug. They have huge implications for library
development -- but they'll all be backwards compatible improvements.