auto, var, raii,scope, banana

Nils Hensel nils.hensel at web.de
Tue Jul 25 11:14:52 PDT 2006

kris schrieb:
> Don has a good point: changing to "var" would cause conflict with
> existing variable-names.

I'm sorry but I don't believe there are many programmers out there
actually using something as undescriptive as "var" as a regular
identifier. I also strongly believe that no one should. It's the
implication of a maintenance nightmare.
I don't intend to insult Don in any way but it's a horrible practice
IMNSHO that should not be preserved.

So let's not focus on some odd minority but rather on the wide use of
"var" in the context of type inference and dynamic typing.

Also I don't think that it's a good habit to be looking at how C++ does
something unless one is looking for a bad example. My main reason for
interest in D is because personally I'm fed up with C++ and consider it
an abomination and a major PITA.

Just my 0.02 EUROs,

Nils