Either I'm just too stupid, or D is lacking something

Wolfgang Draxinger wdraxinger at darkstargames.de
Fri Jul 28 02:43:51 PDT 2006

Tom S wrote:

http://lists.puremagic.com/pipermail/digitalmars-d/2006-July/005564.html
> It wouldn't need new special characters, just one new keyword
> and it could allow for some more magic.

I don't know. I understand what you mean by it, but that mixes up
runtime types with compiletime tokens. In interpreted languages
this would be done by some builtin eval(...) or compile(...)
function. But D is a compiles language and I think, that any
metaprogramming structures clearly separate compiletime and
runtime stuff. And let's face it: char[] is a runtime type, that
takes most of it's guts from phobos implementation of Arrays,
with some additional sugar to support UTF. I think it should be
made clear that such a "identifier parameter" is something
special not to be mistaken for a runtime template parameter.

>> Ever tried to make self reflecting components in
>> C++, _with_ template support?
>
> Hmmm nope...

It's a reliable way to end up in an asylum.

> Cool :)

The engine's going to be licenced GPL/Dual. Kinda like Qt4: Free
of charge for open source and educational projectes, but you
need a commercial license for use in closed source applications.

> It wasn't that bad. Probably because I have a sentiment for
> black backgrounds and bright fonts.

Those will stay, but we'll get rid of the late 90ies Java Script
clutter, the frames and bonbon style.

Wolfgang Draxinger
--
E-Mail address works, Jabber: hexarith at jabber.org, ICQ: 134682867
GPG key FP: 2FC8 319E C7D7 1ADC 0408 65C6 05F5 A645 1FD3 BD3E