Either I'm just too stupid, or D is lacking something

Derek derek at psyc.ward
Fri Jul 28 16:49:10 PDT 2006

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:27:11 +0200, Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:

> Of course D's metaprogramming is already way ahead of C++, but
> the lack of ability to introduce new identifiers by
> templates/mixins is an itching spot to me.

Agreed. The fact that mixins can only be used to generate declarations is a
huge restriction. However I'm sure that Walter can devise a similarly safe
way for mixins in the future to generate other types of D code, such as
identifiers, blocks and statements. So until then mixins have limited
utility.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia