What is a stdio module without input capability?

Tyro ridimz at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 29 03:53:40 PDT 2006

Answer: std.stdio! About as incomplete and undesirable as they come.

IMNSHO this is a feature that is long overdue. Why exactly do I need
call upon two separate modules to get the functionality promised in one?
Can we please get a complete stdio module. I know this is about the last
thing on the minds of professionals lurking here in D-dom, but for some
(myself included) it is still very important.

import std.stdio: writef;
import std.cstream: din;

writef("Something important!\n");
din.readf(&someInput);

Yes, it is trivial. Yes, it can be accomplished. But it is unintuitive
and certainly not what is promised by a "stdio" module.

And while we are on the subject! I know printf() holds a place near and
dear to the hearts of all those who've ever used it. But since this is D
and not C, doesn't the D io routines deserve at least the same
privileges the C ones do? Is their anyway that we can have
writef()/writefln() take the place of printf() in the object module?
Barring that, can they at least be included alongside the great printf()?

Andrew C. Edwards