To Walter, about char[] initialization by FF

Andrew Fedoniouk news at terrainformatica.com
Sat Jul 29 20:14:22 PDT 2006

>> Please don't think that UTF-8 is a panacea.
>
> I don't. But it's way better than C/C++, because you can rely on it and
> your code will work with different languages out of the box.

Sorry but this is a bit optimistic.

D/samples/wc.exe from the box will fail on russian texts.
It will fail on almost all Eastern texts. Even they
will be in UTF-8 encoding. Meaning of 'word'
is different there.

Having statement "string literals in D are only
UTF-8 encoded" is not conceptually better than
"string literals in C are encoded by using codepage defined
by pragma(codepage,...)".

Same by the way applied to most of Java compilers
they accepts texts in various singlebyte encodings.
(Why *I* am telling this to *you*? :-)

Andrew.