To Walter, about char[] initialization by FF

Serg Kovrov user at domain.invalid
Mon Jul 31 02:17:17 PDT 2006

Maybe I missed the point here, correct me if I misunderstood.

This is how I see the problem with char[] as utf-8 *string*. The length
of array of chars is not always count of characters, but rather size of
array in bytes. Which makes no sense for me. For that purpose I would
like to see separate properties.

For example,
char[] str = "тест";
word "test" in russian - 4 cyrillic characters, would give you
str.length 8, which make no use of this length property if you not sure
that string is latin characters only.