COW vs. in-place.

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Mon Jul 31 14:15:47 PDT 2006

Dawid Ciężarkiewicz wrote:
> I'd rather wait till const/immutability in D problem will be resolved. Don't
> forget that additional "option" is runtime cost. There are some
> propositions of const/immutability that could help providing compile time
> information to deal with your proposition.

It would take many calls to the modified toupper to cost as much as
needlessly duplicating one large text file, and now you have to either
live with the dups or write your own in-place toupper <g>

None of the const/immutability ideas will take care of having to "copy
on write"; they were all more-or-less just ways of enforcing COW so
there wouldn't be mistakes.