Idea about memory management. Game related.

Marcio mqmnews123 at sglebs.com
Fri Jun 2 08:52:52 PDT 2006

Chad J wrote:
> I intend to use D for game programming, and I will probably be facing a
> lot of the memory management problems that other D game programmers seem
> to be facing.

	Can't we rephrase your message as "We need incremental, time-bounded,
Garbage Collection for D instead of Mark & Sweep" ?

	Dave Ungar has done this type of stuff for Smalltalk a few decades ago.
It makes your app 3..5% slower, but without long pauses. Can you afford
5% degradation? See
http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/papers/papersByOthers/visualworksGCTheory.html

	I also remember the Train Algorithm in an ECOOP conference, probably in
1995. Just over a decade ago :-) It was done in Beta originally. Here:
http://www.daimi.au.dk/~beta/Papers/Train/train.html . I think I heard
those guys ended up working on it for the JVM, and it got added to the
HotSpot JVM. See  http://www.artima.com/insidejvm/ed2/gc9.html

	Pure Mark&Sweep is a bit too basic these days.

marcio