email client lib

BCS BCS_member at pathlink.com
Fri Jun 2 17:39:46 PDT 2006

In article <4480BA1B.7050001 at nospam.org>, Georg Wrede says...

>BCS wrote:
>> Unknown W. Brackets says...
>>
>>> I don't know, but it's dirt easy.  Are you looking for something
>>> that just does the sendmail communication for you, or a simple SMTP
>>> client?
>>>
>>> I've written and used both in D.  I personally prefer SMTP, because
>>> it works on Windows too, but sendmail can (can) be more efficient
>>> and requires less runtime setup (e.g. hostname, username, and
>>> password.)
>>
>> I was hoping to go the SMTP route. I have tried it with telnet
>> (successfully) and tried to write a function to do it (with a little
>> less success). I'm a bit hampered by not having a known good SMTP
>> server accessible.
>
>Don't you ever send e-mail from school/office/home? Why not use the same
>SMTP server that your computer uses?

My dev system is on a closed network and I haven't had any need for an SMTP
server till now.

If anyone has any suggestions as to a free server program that I could use
(Linux or win) I would like that. I think I have sendmail up and running on the
Linux box but it seems to be a bit flakey (most likely because I don't know how
to make it work right).