GC, the simple solution

renox renosky at free.fr
Sun Jun 4 15:01:16 PDT 2006

Frank Benoit wrote:
> Another garbage collector thread :)
>
> The best garbage collector I can think about, is a reference counting
> one.

Uh, what's your definition of "best"?
The simplest? Then maybe.

If you take a look at Java, it doesn't use a reference counting GC and
there is a good reason for this: AFAIK modern GC are far better
performance wise than reference counting GC.
One GC that I remember (no I'm not an expert) is Mark Copy GC, see
"MarkCopy:Fast copying GC with less space overhead".

The only thing that reference counting GCs have for them is that this
scheme is simple, more or less robust but "best", best for what?

I doubt very much that the best GC used for say batch computations is
the best for GUI clients..

Regards,
RenoX