GC, the simple solution

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Mon Jun 5 02:39:07 PDT 2006

Frank Benoit wrote:

>> * The cost of removing the last pointer to an object is unbounded
> delete can be unbound? I didn't know that.

The reason is that a delete might trigger an unknown additional amount of
decrefs leading to more deletes.

>> * It has a substantial space overhead, making it less useful for smaller
>> heaps
> In codesize yes, but in heap size?
> I though the tracing GC does need much more heap because it should be
> called very seldom.

Hmm, might have paraphrased somewhat wildly there, but the space overhead
_is_ considered a drawback, and reducing it will most likely lead to more
computation overhead instead.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net