dchar unicode phobos

pragma pragma_member at pathlink.com
Wed Jun 7 07:53:14 PDT 2006

In article <e66hf1$otn$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Johan Granberg says...

>That D supports UTF is great, and by using dchar[] all Unicode code
>points can bee used. But phobos does not support dchar[]s adequately.
>(or wchar[]s for that matter) Wouldn't it bee expected of the language
>standard library to support all of the languages string encodings?
>
>Proposal: add wchar[] and dchar[] versions of the string functions in phobos
>
>(should this bee filed as a bug?)

Ya know, I never really thought about this, but you're right: D has three
character types yet only has full library support for one of them.

If you ask me, there's only so many ways to go about this:

1. Refactor std.string to use implicit templates
2. Branch std.string into three modules, one for each char type
3. Support all three char types via overloads within std.string

Personally, I like #1 since it would be seamless to implement, and would require
almost exactly as much code as is in use now.  The only drawback here is centers
around problems with distributing template code in libraries.

Also, do you personally need this kind of support in your project?  Have you
looked at Mango?

- EricAnderton at yahoo