phobos: std.path enhancements

Carlos Santander csantander619 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 10:39:07 PDT 2006

SLI escribió:
> In article <e6jsbm$2cl5$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Carlos Santander says...
>> SLI escribió:
>>> How about this enhancement for std.path:
>>>
>>> new method:
>>> char[] parent( char[] path, int up = 1 )
>>> returns the parent path name of the given path, up indicates the levels for
>>> "walking up", ´0´ would simply return the path parameter, ´1´ the parent, ..
>>>
>> This was already answered in the bugs ng.
>
> If you refer to bug #189, than Walter just said that the bug ng. is not a good
> place for discussing this. But maybe you were refering to another bug.

I mean the reply you got from Unknown W. Brackets:

"
I thought getDirName() was "parent()" (except named like I expect it to be, and
available in other runtime libraries.)  You'd just call it multiple times for
higher "up" values - no?
"

>>> extended method:
>>> char[] join( char[] p1, char[] p2 )
>>> it would be really nice if join() could also join "real" relative paths (p2)
>>> such as "../sibling".
>>>
>> I think this was proposed before and, IIRC, people generally didn't agree mainly
>> because symbolic links would make it confusing or difficult or something else.
>>
>>> If helpfull I could provide the "authors" with a win specific implementation
>>> e.g. to be used as a starting point.
>>>

> Sorry, did not found this thread you are talking about. Can you direct me to it?
> I just entered the "D-Train" a few days ago!!

Sorry, I don't know what that thread might be. Maybe try searching for "join
relative paths" from http://www.digitalmars.com/d/index.html

--
Carlos Santander Bernal