"The End of Native Code"

pragma pragma_member at pathlink.com
Tue Jun 13 14:43:49 PDT 2006

Slashdot had an interesting ask slashdot article yesterday about when is it the
right time to go whole-hog into interpreted/VM style language development.

http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/06/06/12/2044245.shtml

As its an issue that we're all familar with, I figured I'd read and see why this
article had 1000+ comments.  I was actually quite suprised to find a number of
people, mostly C++ guys, clamoring for "native compilation plus garbage
collection" or some variant thereof.  What was also suprising was the number of
"have you not seen D yet?" replies to these posts, and how well they were modded
*up*.  As slashdot is peer-moderated, this means that registered users of the
site had to take the time to hand out positive reviews on those particular
posts.

So I have to say: you guys rock.  Remember, slashdot users pretty much hung D
from the yard-arm on not one but two articles about D.  What I saw today was a
subtle, but noticable shift in this attitude.  The word finally seems to be
getting out.

- EricAnderton at yahoo