"The End of Native Code"

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Tue Jun 13 16:40:08 PDT 2006

pragma wrote:
> Slashdot had an interesting ask slashdot article yesterday about when is it the
> right time to go whole-hog into interpreted/VM style language development.
>
> http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/06/06/12/2044245.shtml
>
> As its an issue that we're all familar with, I figured I'd read and see why this
> article had 1000+ comments.  I was actually quite suprised to find a number of
> people, mostly C++ guys, clamoring for "native compilation plus garbage
> collection" or some variant thereof.  What was also suprising was the number of
> "have you not seen D yet?" replies to these posts, and how well they were modded
> *up*.  As slashdot is peer-moderated, this means that registered users of the
> site had to take the time to hand out positive reviews on those particular
> posts.
>
> So I have to say: you guys rock.  Remember, slashdot users pretty much hung D
> from the yard-arm on not one but two articles about D.  What I saw today was a
> subtle, but noticable shift in this attitude.  The word finally seems to be
> getting out.

I saw the article when it first came out, but I obviously need to go
read the followups.

The gist of the article as I interpreted it is that people go to script
languages because they are more productive. Why are they more productive?

1) garbage collection

2) dynamic typing

3) lots of libraries

D's got garbage collection.

Dynamic typing is interesting in that while it is more productive, it's
a big reason why scripting languages will always be slooow. It's also
interesting in that if you look real hard at C++ templates, a lot of
what they are used for is to fake dynamic typing.

D is moving towards what I call implicit typing - I've been taking a
hard look at where one is required to specify a type, and instead trying
to figure out a way the type can be inferred instead (foreach is a good
example). Implicit typing gets D a number of the benefits of dynamic
typing with less complexity than the C++ template approach.

D doesn't have lots of libraries. But, in reality, C++ doesn't either,
because it's too **** hard to write general purpose libraries in the
absence of garbage collection. I believe that it's so much easier to
write libraries in D that D will quickly surpass C++ in depth and
breadth of libraries. Of course, that isn't good enough, we need to get
to the Python or Ruby level of library support.