STEP UP PHOBOS DEVELOPMENT 10 FOLD

Chad J gamerChad at _spamIsBad_gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 17:45:48 PDT 2006

Lionello Lunesu wrote:
> I totally agree!
>
>> A Best Practice would be to post one's changes on the newsgroup for
>> peer review. And if well received, only then send them per e-mail to
>> Walter.
>

> ...and that's the tricky part. There's no guarantee that the fix/add-on
> will make it into Phobos. Not because it might not be up to some
> standard, but because it's likely to be overseen. A newsgroup for Phobos
> might be a way of fixing this.
>
> There's another problem. I don't "get" Phobos. If there's a thought
> behind it, I don't get it. I read the "philosophy" on the D site, and
> agree with it, but Phobos still looks like a bunch of random algorithms
> and patterns. For this reason, I, for one, would much rather submit
> patches to Ares than to Phobos.
>
> I've already posted my opinion on the whole "standard library" issue:
> ideally I'd like to remake the .NET framework in D. Or perhaps a
> transparent way of using it, as was posted before. (I've been working on
> a tool that uses .NET reflection to dump the .NET classes and interface
> in .d files, including xml-doc in DDOC format.)
>
> Anyway, I have no doubt Phobos could grow to be a good standard library.
>
> L.

I'm willing to help with this stuff, but it's discouraging when there
are 2 competing libraries (Ares and Phobos).  It feels like there is a
50% chance my efforts would be wasted.  I really wish we could merge the
good things about both of them, such as going with Ares and then start
merging Phobos modules into it, refactoring them as needed.