Idea about memory management. Game related.

pragma pragma_member at pathlink.com
Tue Jun 13 19:20:51 PDT 2006

In article <e6nl5h$1kcj$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Daniel Keep says...

[snip]
>> Yes.  And passing some type information to the GC would also help
>> considerably.  Currently, the GC must assume all data could potentially
>> be a pointer, while at the very least it should be possible for the GC
>> to avoid scanning array data if the arrays don't contain object
>> references or pointer types.  For games, such bulk data probably makes
>> up a significant chunk of allocated storage.
>>

>> Sean
>
>I believe the Boehm GC has such an alloc function.  I think they call it
>"atomic" data or somesuch.

Didn't someone post a hack/mod to do just this over a year ago to the newsgroup?

If memory serves, all it did was somehow hint to the GC on new that the
allocated block doesn't contain pointer data - as you both have suggested.  It
did this transparently, by using D's type information.

- EricAnderton at yahoo