A common D standard library

Frank Benoit keinfarbton at nospam.xyz
Wed Jun 14 18:08:18 PDT 2006

First of all, thanks to all the great work which is done from Walter and
all the contributors on the dsource projects. I hold you all in high regard.

If I think about a D standard library, I am a bit worried about the
separate developments on some projects and the slow progress of the
D-libs in common. Every lib is dependent on one person. If this person
goes away, the lib falls into a sleep. (see DWT, which I do not know,
but the post count on the newsgroup is very low in the past)

At the moment there are
* phobos
* ares
* mango
perhaps more projects which are good for common use in a D standard library.

Wouldn't it be a very good to have them all together in one project on
dsource.org? With easy write access in branches for contributors? The
maintainers can then merge the changes they decide to take. Perhaps we
can divide responsibility for modules or packages to more people.

I think we should take the challenge and go from the one man projects to
a bigger project with many voices, more discussions, more test coverage
and faster progress.

This should be no critism on any person or project, just an idea which I
would wish to happen :)

Frank