How do you think about the flooding of bracket?

Deewiant deewiant.doesnotlike.spam at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 06:35:15 PDT 2006

BLS wrote:
> a simple  example from Modula 2:
>
> Module  Primes;
> FROM InOut IMPORT Writeln, ......;
>
>   PROCEDURE abc
>      PROCEDURE xyz
>     END xyz
>   END abc
> END  Primes
>
> Have a look at then END declarations: I found them quit usefull and the code
> more readable, at least in deep nested functions.

I find something like that gets very annoying quickly, when "PROCEDURE xyz" is
one or two lines long. Imagine something like (mixed-syntax pseudocode):

PROCEDURE foo(int x)
	PROCEDURE bar
		PROCEDURE baz
			return 6;
		END baz
		x += baz();
	END bar
	if (x) BEGIN
		while (x < 10) BEGIN
			bar();
			foo(x);
		END
	END
	return x;
END foo

At least to me, the extraneous foo/bar/baz in the above make it harder to
quickly read and understand.

In my mind, when things start to get unreadable due to them spanning many lines
and/or there being a lot of nesting, you can just use a comment at the ending
curly bracket:

void foo() {
} // end foo()