"The End of Native Code"

David Medlock noone at nowhere.com
Thu Jun 15 07:58:19 PDT 2006

Daniel Keep wrote:

> David Medlock wrote:
>
>>Andrei Khropov wrote:

>>>See Nemerle (http://nemerle.org/) - Hidney-Milner in C-family syntax.
>>>Looks
>>>very promising.
>>>

>>Thanks for the heads up.
>>It does look good!  Looks like dot Net only though.. :(
>>
>>I hope they get either native or even translation to C.
>>
>>-DavidM
>

> I've never understood this aversion to non-native languages.  Let's be
> frank: native machine code is good, but it isn't the be-all and end-all.
>  Nemerle was developed using .NET because that way they didn't have to
> write a compiler; they could just use Reflection.Emit to generate their
> assemblies.
>
> Plus, it frees them from having to support every platform and processor
> separately.
>
> As for .NET itself, I think it's excellent.  For most purposes, it's got
> plenty of performance (people are writing video decoders in C#), lots of
> different languages to use, and a fairly complete set of libraries.
>
> I agree in that it would be fantastic to have something like Nemerle for
> native code, but I certainly won't discriminate against it just because
> it's managed.
>
> 	-- Daniel
>
> P.S.  Just in case you get the wrong idea, I'm far from a .NET fanb0i.
> C# is only just "Ok" as a language, and the class library is painful in
> many places.  Still, it's better than Java *shudders*.

I make my living as a Java developer for 10 years now, so I would
definitely say I don't have an aversion to bytecode languages.

Actually the majority of my non-D hobby programming is in python and
lua, the opposite end of native-code languages.

Please try not to draw conclusions which aren't there.  I like doing
games and have some significant code developed.  To adopt C# I have to:

1. Learn a new language(not too difficult but still annoying with little
benefit over D)

2. Find wrappers for any libraries I may be using or write them.

3. Get used to MS development tools, which I have not really used at all.

4. Make sure anyone who tries my programs has .NET installed.

5. Expect some difficulty re: cross platform games if I use any MS
specific .NET libraries.

Thanks.