"The End of Native Code"

Sjoerd van Leent svanleent at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 12:19:26 PDT 2006

> No apologies necessary, I was just clearing up confusion.  I did not
> intend to sound offended(but I can see that I did).
>
> Although Java feeds my wife and kids, I have no great love for it.  I
> have more fun with Groovy(a JVM scripting language) honestly.
>
> Its not great but it is 'good enough'(tm).
>
> I can even stomach VB in small doses, but the only truely painful
> programming I have ever done is Perl.  This is a language full of
> special cases and inconsistencies like no other.  It has embedded type
> information which serves no real benefit, but is touted by Perl hackers
> as a useful feature!  Unfortunately I have been moved in my company to a
> dept which is run by Perl guys...I'm doomed.
>
> Java does need a runtime, but I have done web server side stuff mostly,
> with some doses of large data mining thrown in(NIO libraries arent too
> bad).
>
> Python and D are the most enjoyable programming I've done.
>
> Cheers.
> -DavidM

Perl is OK, I use it in some project. Though it is not OK for
everything, it is still OK. The way Perl-files are written by most
Perl-geeks are sometimes quite beyond understandable, but one is able to
write clear-looking Perl-files, and so an understandable piece of code.
We can do the same with Java, C#, Nemerle, VB.NET, C++, Python, Lua and
D as well.

Regards,
Sjoerd