How do you think about the flooding of bracket?

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 03:16:34 PDT 2006

Georg Wrede wrote:

> Daniel Keep wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Personally, I prefer to write lots of small, well-defined functions.
>> If I can't fit a whole function's flow into my head at once, then I
>> know I need to break it up.
>
> Kudos, Daniel, for saying that!!
>
> I used to write long functions, but then I got a peek at Turbo Pascal
> 5.5 library source code, and I was simply astounded. Very few of the
> functions (or procedures) were more than 5 lines of [actual] code!

For me, it was Python that really changed how I code.  The first two
times I tried to pick up Python, I just dismissed it as being another
"weird" language.

The third time I tried, I finally groked functional programming.  All of
a sudden, I could express complex ideas using lists and functions,
combining them with a few simple operations.

Python's actually changed many aspects of my coding style, mostly for
the better.

Java, on the other hand, taught me to hate
identifiersWhichAreFullAndGramaticallyCompleteEnglishSentences ;)

	-- Daniel

--
Unlike Knuth, I have neither proven or tried the above; it may not even
make sense.