STEP UP PHOBOS DEVELOPMENT 10 FOLD

Andrei Khropov andkhropov at nospam_mtu-net.ru
Sat Jun 17 03:56:09 PDT 2006

Chad J wrote:

> Andrei Khropov wrote:
> >
> > There're different approaches possible:
> >
> > 1) Minimalistic C/C++ like - std lib contains only small set of necessary
> > things. Everything else is available through 3rd party libs.
> >
> > 2) Maximalistic Java/.NET like - std lib contains lots of stuff.
> >

> This has always been bugging me.  What are the reasons to do a minimalistic
> lib, besides us not having to write so much stuff?

I think it's a philosophical question:

With a maximalistic lib there is usually "one true way" to write something
(DB,GUI etc.).

with C++ -like approach you are encouraged to choose among different
realizations (i.e. for GUI you may choose among wxWidgets, Gtk+, Qt, MFC ...)
but in this case code is less portable and less consistent (it's incompatible
between projects).

Most modern languages tend to use maximalistic approach.

--
AKhropov