GC, the simple solution

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeirosATgmail at SPAM.com
Sat Jun 17 14:21:45 PDT 2006

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>>
>> Makes me think, how does one keep up with this? I mean, one who isn't
>> (nor wishes to be) a hardware expert, but wants to keep up with the
>> general developments in this area, thus maintaining an overview of it.
>
> comp.programming.threads is worth keeping an eye on, though the jargon
> can get a bit thick there at times.  The C++ committee is also working
> on a new memory model for C++, so any discussion there may be useful.
> The easiest way to keep an eye on this is follow the links from Hans
> Boehm's website  (http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/) though you
> could keep an eye on comp.std.c++ as well if you're having trouble
> staying awake at night.  Finally, any paper with Maurice Herlihy's name
> on it is a useful resource if you want a deeper understanding of some of
> these ideas and don't mind some research.  He's got a website with links
> to many of his papers, though IIRC some of them are hard to track down
> without an ACM membership.
>

> Sean

Well, that's the thing, I just want to have some general knowledge about
this area of hardware and concurrency/distributed-systems, not become an
expert on it. My time to learn new things is limited (and I definitely
have no trouble going to sleep :( ), so my priority goes for learning
things that I have immediate need to use/become-involved. If I ever have
the need to learn more in-depth I will.
You see, concurrency is very important for people interested in
server-side programming. But for multimedia programming, it's not that
important. For now that is, as it seems that with the coming of
multicore CPUs, concurrency is becoming more and more of a general
software development topic, relevant even for non-intrinsically
concurrent apps.

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student