Pyd

Kirk McDonald kirklin.mcdonald at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 01:42:48 PDT 2006

David Rushby wrote:
> In article <e7hp2l$1638$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Kirk McDonald says...
>
>>Does that mean you want to merge Celerid and Pyd?
>

> Yes.  I think users will find it easier to deal with an integrated package.
>
> I *would* like to see the current capabilities of CeleriD (the option to use the
> plain Python/C API rather than the object-oriented wrapper if desired, and the
> ability to compile with a familiar distutils setup.py style) preserved in the
> integrated CeleriD/Pyd, but I don't anticipate that that would be a problem, do
> you?

Certainly not. The raw Python/C API is still fully accessible by simply
saying "import python". (I've been careful to always say "private import
python" in Pyd's source, so it isn't available by simply saying "import
pyd.pyd".)

(As a matter of fact, mixing the Python/C API with Pyd is currently
necessary as the whole thing hasn't been wrapped quite yet.)

As for compilation with the distutils-style setup.py, this is my
preferred method. At the moment, the setup.py file itself needs to be
told what Pyd's source files are. By integrating the two projects,
compiling these files can be done automatically, perhaps with a flag in
the setup.py to build in "classic," object-oriented-layer-free mode.

-Kirk McDonald