Proposal: struct and array literal syntax

Andrei Khropov andkhropov at nospam_mtu-net.ru
Sat Jun 24 14:33:59 PDT 2006

Daniel Keep wrote:

> > All this talk makes kinda wish that the ascii tables (and consequently  the
> > standard keyboards as well) had one more set of brackets, like the  angle
> > brackets for example
> > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracket#Angle_brackets_or_chevrons_.E2.8C.A9.C
> > 2.A0.E2.8C.AA),  used for tuple notation in math. "〈1, 2〉"
> >
> > A comparison:
> >
> > <1, 2>
> > ‹1, 2›
> > «1, 2»
> > 〈1, 2〉 // Why do these take two spaces?
> > 《1, 2》
> >

> AFAIK, they take spaces because they are "fullwidth" asian characters. I
> think it comes from most western glyphs being vertical rectangles, and most
> asian glyphs being square-ish.  So they make the characters twice as wide :)
>
> As for more brackets: hell yeah.  I think there are three things that really
> limit programming languages: lack of special characters that will reliably be
> on many computers, lack of special characters on our keyboards, and
> programming language's fixation on using special characters :P
>
> I think that what would help is adding these features with whatever syntax we
> can muster, and add alises for these using extended characters where we can
> find them.
>
> Maybe if we start supporting more than basic ASCII now, someday we'll get
> better keyboards :)

Well, I think Unicode is not the problem.
The biggest problem is our limited keyboards really.
I have made a little inspection and found that some symbols (`,\,@,#,№) are
unused in D yet. Maybe put 'em to some use? :-)

P.S. And, yeah, I want tuples in D and lists too.

--
AKhropov