Proposal: struct and array literal syntax

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeirosATgmail at SPAM.com
Sun Jun 25 07:59:02 PDT 2006

Daniel Keep wrote:

> AFAIK, they take spaces because they are "fullwidth" asian characters. I
> think it comes from most western glyphs being vertical rectangles, and
> most asian glyphs being square-ish.  So they make the characters twice
> as wide :)

You sure? I mean, they are used in mathematical notation as well, so I
wonder if that's all to it (kinda lazy to get check it out more now).

> As for more brackets: hell yeah.  I think there are three things that
> really limit programming languages: lack of special characters that will
> reliably be on many computers, lack of special characters on our
> keyboards, and programming language's fixation on using special
> characters :P
>
> I think that what would help is adding these features with whatever
> syntax we can muster, and add alises for these using extended characters
> where we can find them.
>
> Maybe if we start supporting more than basic ASCII now, someday we'll
> get better keyboards :)
>
>     -- Daniel

I don't think we need other keyboards for that. One can use existing
keyboards and extend it's key layout by adding new characters when
certain keys are pressed with the AltGr modifier. For instance, angle
brackets could be available when the US-layout keys for '<' or '>' were
pressed together with AltGr. Nicely enough, almost all Roman_script
keyboard layouts
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Keyboard_layouts_for_Roman_script)
have that key entries available. (The exceptions are Canadian
French,Canadian Multilingual Standard and US-International)

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student