object.d and hash_t confusion?

James Pelcis jpelcis at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 17:45:22 PDT 2006

kris wrote:
> James Pelcis wrote:
>> Since the only non-bug problem I noticed here was a programmer error
>> (using uint instead of hash_t), why should it be changed?
>
> Well, the hope was that such an easy-to-make 'mistake' would be caught
> by the compiler :)
Alas, no.  It's similar to (for example) using ubyte instead of GLubyte.
  Both are legal.  In fact, we don't normally even want the compiler to
complain about it.

>> If a change does need to be made though, the alias could be changed
>> into a typedef.  That would check for the problem regardless of the
>> platform.
>
> Yep, but probably requires casting. Walter has noted on a number of
> ocassions that a cast is not exactly intended for general purposes. I
> just wonder if this should be considered a special-case or not
Casting wouldn't be necessary when using a typedef'ed version of hash_t,
but it would still be needed whenever it's assigned to a variable.
Personally, I don't think it's necessary and it definitely isn't
desirable to need to use casting for the Object class.  I vote to leave
it as is (with the bug fixed).