Negative

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Wed Mar 1 23:40:18 PST 2006

A lot of excellent comments. Some more from me embedded:

"Kevin Bealer" <Kevin_member at pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:du5hbu$2bag$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
> So the C++ team adds hard-to-implement/use stuff to the language, and
> rarely
> adds easy-to-implement/use stuff, because the easy-to-implement stuff is
> doable
> with macros/template magic.  Macro/template language is much more powerful
> than
> macro-only magic.  But the illusion still breaks down ... everyone has an
> ITERATE macro that doesnt quite work seamlessly.

Yes, my thoughts exactly.

> I think the crown might pass to any language that could fix C++
> performance and
> syntax... once it declared for the throne.  D does very well syntactically
> and
> performance wise, but I think it still has the "not ready yet" label stuck
> on
> the front of the box, because of the sub-1.0 version and lack of ...
> (insert
> wishlist items).

The wishlist thing is an ever-growing thing. It's a problem, mostly my
fault.

> (Question: What was the "trigger" that made people start
> adopting Java for projects?)

The initial trigger was the idea you could embed Java applets into a web
page, coupled with the idea that it was a C++ like language that was, in
contrast, easilly mastered.