Negative

David Medlock noone at nowhere.com
Thu Mar 2 11:17:50 PST 2006

Kevin Bealer wrote:
> In article <du5cao$237b$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...

<Snip comments I agree with>

> I think the crown might pass to any language that could fix C++ performance and
> syntax... once it declared for the throne.  D does very well syntactically and
> performance wise, but I think it still has the "not ready yet" label stuck on
> the front of the box, because of the sub-1.0 version and lack of ... (insert
> wishlist items).  (Question: What was the "trigger" that made people start
> adopting Java for projects?)
>
> Kevin

Java launched for 3 reasons(outside of Suns marketing), IMO:

1. Server side web programming was just taking off. This was Java's
killer app.  Case in point: Flash does most interactive embedded stuff
today in web pages.

2. No pointers. No memory leaks eliminates large classes of errors. Even
though it existed in other languages, coupled with #1 this made Java a
much better C++.

3. A comprehensive set of tools and a company willing to support them.
In getting business to adopt your tech they need support and Sun
delivers(at least on Solaris and Win32 initially).

-DavidM