What on earth is std.windows.d?

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Fri Mar 3 09:03:25 PST 2006

Stewart Gordon wrote:

> Don Clugston wrote:
> <snip>
>> I believe that legal issues prevent redistribution of the Windows SDK,
>> but at least we could use the public domain files from the w32api
>> project?
>>
>> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mingw/w32api/#dirlist
> <snip>
>
> I'm a little puzzled over the whole licensing issue.  What are these
> third-party editions of the Windows headers if they're not derivative
> works of the original?  What are the Windows headers that come with DMC,
> for that matter?
>
> And how much can we do that counts as fair use, anyway?
>
> Stewart.

I used to follow the mingw mailinglists once upon a time, and then there was
some questions about adding a certain header to the package. It turned out
it was just a copy of the MS one, and it was then said that all headers
added to the mingw package should be created the black box way or
reverseengineered. So in theory, all headers there has been created without
looking at the originals, but instead using documentation and test/trials.
Thus they don't infringe on the original headers.