Negative

AgentOrange AgentOrange_member at pathlink.com
Fri Mar 3 09:11:12 PST 2006

In article <du9qmo$9rk$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Juan Jose Comellas says...

>Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>

>>> Java launched for 3 reasons(outside of Suns marketing), IMO:
>>>
>>> 1. Server side web programming was just taking off. This was Java's
>>> killer
>>> app.  Case in point: Flash does most interactive embedded stuff today in
>>> web pages.
>>>
>>> 2. No pointers. No memory leaks eliminates large classes of errors. Even
>>> though it existed in other languages, coupled with #1 this made Java a
>>> much better C++.
>>>
>>> 3. A comprehensive set of tools and a company willing to support them. In
>>> getting business to adopt your tech they need support and Sun delivers(at
>>> least on Solaris and Win32 initially).
>>>

>> 4. Execution model: VM + real GC. Safe sandbox. Pure byte code cannot GPF
>> in principle.
>>
>> 5. Extremely simple Java Native Interface mechanism - bridge to native
>> code for
>> mission crititcal pieces.
>
>I beg to differ here. I've worked on several projects on Linux that use JNI
>extensively and it's anything but easy to use. It may work for simple
>cases, but it has all kinds of quirks and it's unnecessarily verbose. Every
>JVM has its JNI functions in different libraries, so there's no hope of
>simple portability between them. To top it all, just try to embed the JVM
>inside a process that uses threads and Unix signals to see what "all hell
>breaks loose" really means.
>
>I think the guy who designed JNI really didn't want it to be used.

yeh even ID wanted to use java for gameplay in quake 2 but found the JNI a
jumbled mess - and so different on each platform it was not possible to use a
single codebase. luckally they saw the light of day, threw java away, and wrote
quakec.

coming from a gamedev background, i cant really stand java....