What on earth is std.windows.d?

jcc7 jcc7_member at pathlink.com
Fri Mar 3 10:11:33 PST 2006

In article <du9s34$egk$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Stewart Gordon says...

>Don Clugston wrote:
><snip>
>> I believe that legal issues prevent redistribution of the Windows SDK,
>> but at least we could use the public domain files from the w32api project?
>>
>> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mingw/w32api/#dirlist
><snip>
>
>I'm a little puzzled over the whole licensing issue.

Me, too.

>What are the Windows headers that come with DMC, for that matter?

I think that Walter asked for special permission from Microsoft to do that. For
our D ports, I'd rather use a free version that was developed by a black-box
method (i.e. mingw) than officially ask for permission from Microsoft to use
theirs.

>And how much can we do that counts as fair use, anyway?

I'm not a lawyer, but I think "fair use" requires that we only use a small
excerpt (and we basically use all of it even if it's converted by automation).
So I don't think we should be using Microsoft's header (even though that's what
many of us have been doing. But the legal issues aren't clear to me, so I'm not
sure.

jcc7