What on earth is std.windows.d?

jcc7 jcc7_member at pathlink.com
Fri Mar 3 10:15:35 PST 2006

In article <du9po0$82u$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Don Clugston says...

>Sean Kelly wrote:
>> Don Clugston wrote:
>>>
>>> I believe that legal issues prevent redistribution of the Windows SDK,
>>> but at least we could use the public domain files from the w32api
>>> project?
>>>
>>> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mingw/w32api/#dirlist
>>
>> Definately.  I don't suppose someone wants to attempt a port? :-)
>> Automation is on my to-do list, but it's pretty low at the moment.
>>

>> Sean
>
>I've been inspired to have a go at making a C2D header converter. I know
>that's been done before, but this one's in D.

Great news!

>Turns out to be _much_ easier to do than it used to be, because now you
>can often change things like
>#define abc 3 + 7 * def
>#define foo "sfbsdd"
>into
>const abc = 3 + 7 * def;
>const foo = "sfbsdd";
>taking advantage of autotyping.

Even better news!

>Also being able to write
>extern(C) :
>
>instead of extern(C) { ....}
>is another huge help.

Please keep us updated on this. I think the D community is really hungry for a
C2D program written in D. I know I'd like to have such a tool in my toolbelt.

(I'm sure some things will always need to be converted manually, but whatever
can be converted automatically lets the humans save their time for more
interesting pursuits.)

jcc7