When was DocComments last gone through?

jcc7 jcc7_member at pathlink.com
Fri Mar 3 13:25:32 PST 2006

In article <du9vmr$l0f$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Stewart Gordon says...

>http://www.wikiservice.at/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DocComments
>
>Some of the stuff in there is about a year old, and yet still waiting to
>be dealt with.

Only a year old? How long has it been since www.opend.org was updated? ;)

I'm with you. It seems like Walter doesn't read the comments very often. If
there's something we could do to help him read them, I'd like to know what it
is.

For example, I'd think the "big problems" on this page would be particularly
easy to fix, but I guess I just don't get it.
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DocComments/LinkProblems

>And some of the comments are straightforward corrections that can be
>implemented in minutes or even seconds, so as far as I'm concerned
>there's no excuse for having not done something about these by now.

I think the heart of the problem might be that Walter is a typical programmer
and doesn't like to deal with documentation. He does a lot better than I would
if I were in charge, but it still seems like it takes a very long time for some
documentation changed to be implemented.

>OTOH corrections posted on these 'groups are sometimes quick to make it,
>but at other times they fall on deaf ears as far as I can tell.

Right.

>I have some more issues with the documentation to report, but I'm not
>sure where it would be best to report them.

I think whatever it is it should be added to DocComments if it isn't already
there. That way if and when someone else is also confused about the docs they
can easily find your comment on the comment page. If someone only posts a
concern in a newsgroup, it'll quickly get lost in the sands of time if it
doesn't generate much interest. Everyone who's tried to search the newsgroups
knows if difficult to find something even if you know it's there.

If you think it's important enough (or you think it should be discussed the item
with a larger group), you can also post in the bugs newsgroup (or even this
newsgroup if you think it'll be of general interest). I think it's helpful if
you'd mention that you've DocCommented on it, too. Or maybe it'd be more
convenient to start a discussion and then post a link to the discussion in
DocComments.

My 2 cents.

jcc7