D - more or less power than C++?

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Fri Mar 3 15:46:10 PST 2006

"Thomas Kuehne" <thomas-dloop at kuehne.cn> wrote in message
news:atumd3-ig8.ln1 at birke.kuehne.cn...
>> What does D have to do to have more power than C++?
> 0)
> Stockpiles of projects / code - just like C++.

It can certainly use that, but that isn't a power language feature.

> 1) standard
> A standard instead of a "blah, blah, blah" documentation.
> (-> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/float.html)
> Enumerating statements in the documentation might be a start.

I agree that the D documentation is deficient. But that's not a power
feature, either.

> 2) lib
> A decent standard lib. Decent isn't necessarily large, but useful,
> structured, documented and working.

D has many standard library capabilities that C++ doesn't have - like regex,
for one. Better formatted I/O, for another. The only thing C++ has is STL.

> std.string.tolower/toupper corrupts input:
> toupper(tolower("a\u1000B"))

Bugs are a problem.

> 3) compiler
> C++ is available on how many architectures and OSs right now?

That's a great characteristic to have, but it isn't a power feature.

> 4) IDE support / tool chain
> <no comment>

Ancilliary support tools are important, but they aren't a power language
feature, either. None of them are mentioned in the C++ standard.

> Granted there are some rough corners in the D feature collection, but I
> don't think that they are THE problem.

I agree.