D - more or less power than C++?

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Fri Mar 3 15:55:02 PST 2006

"Mike Capp" <mike.capp at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:duaj45$1pni$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
> But that's not really the point. If you're trying to convince someone with
> substantial investment in C++ to switch to D, one of the most important
> questions you want them to be asking is "What do I have to lose?". The
> conclusion you want them to come to is "Nothing". If instead the immediate
> and
> vehement answer is "Well, THIS!", you've suddenly lost a lot of momentum.
> That's
> all I was getting at.

Ok, I understand that point. From one perspective, D makes for a lousy C++
compiler. If you try to transliterate traditional style C++ code in D, it
isn't going to work too well. For example, if you try to use smart pointers,
D will stymie such efforts. The benefits of D don't become apparent until
one is willing to write things in a D style.