D - more power than (really) needed !

bls lietz at wanadoo.fr
Sat Mar 4 02:40:15 PST 2006

Since I am allways looking for new friends <g> ,and because my opinion
does not fit into the "D - more or less power than C++" discussion,
another opinion: D - more power than (really) needed !

Preface :
I guess most people here coming from C++/Java .. my background
(Modula/Oberon/4GL) is different.
Ergo : I have an other view regarding D.
So why D has enough power ?

Templates nice to have, but nessesary ? No. Let me quote Betrand Meyer.
~~~ "Inheritance is more powerfull than  using templates"
Yes, I know Eiffel supports templates but the point is that everything
can also be done using inheritance. And heh, we have GC.
Also, i feel using templates is like learing an dialect. (well D's
implementation is at least readable)

The Oberon Language spec. has 18 pages is extremly simple and
enables you to create an combined code/text/graphic editor, using
inheritance and a good choice of patterns,  which has much more power
than let's say Scintilla.
So I wonder how can this be done with such a simple language, and
what does it mean for D? D more power than REALLY needed!

One of the things that I found really impressive (and unexpected) is
that D code is readable. Good Design!

Just my opinion.
Björn Lietz-Spendig
SIMPLE IS BEAUTIFULL