D - more or less power than C++?

Bruno Medeiros daiphoenixNO at SPAMlycos.com
Sat Mar 4 04:53:17 PST 2006

Mike Capp wrote:

> Drifting off-topic: in my not-very-original opinion, the killer app for the Next
> Big Systems Programming Language will be the ability to take advantage of
> multi-core hardware. (Almost certainly through some sort of functional approach
> with compiler-verifiable restrictions.) C++ at this point is constitutionally
> incapable of making that leap. It'll be interesting to see whether D can.
>
> cheers,
> Mike

Ye, I'm starting to think that too. I recall Sweeny's article about the
Unreal engine and Haskell (still gotta check in more detail how that
"pure function" feature works), as well as the recent talk about Cell
and the Octopiler. This is definitely something D/Walter should keep an
eye on, if not downright start thinking about it.

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student