D - more or less power than C++?

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 4 17:27:26 PST 2006

"Walter Bright" <newshound at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:ducnmj$rv$3 at digitaldaemon.com...
> Right. I discovered this too. For the lack of an existing term, I called
> this "inspectability", which is defined as being able to tell what code is
> doing *without* needing to examine declarations or header files. For
> example, what are the various things that f(x) can mean in C++? (There are
> quite a few!) Code is not inspectable in C++. Any piece of code in C++,
> you have essentially no reliable touchstone as to what it is doing without
> examining all the header files.

And in D, f(x) can be visually ambiguous as well - is the parameter in, out,
or inout?

That's one of the minor niggles I have with out and inout params in D - it's
never really obvious when you're using them, so you have to look at the docs
to find out.  out and inout are required at the call site in C# (or rather,
out and "ref"), and it does look pretty and self-documenting.