D - more or less power than C++?

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Mon Mar 6 05:11:48 PST 2006

Jeremy wrote:
> In article <duab09$1arn$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
>> I started a new thread for this:
>>
>> "Mike Capp" <mike.capp at gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:dua67i$12cr$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>>> 7. D has all (well, most of) the power of C++
>> I see this often and am a bit perplexed by it. What power do you feel is
>> missing?
>>
>> And what about the missing power in C++ - inline assembler, nested
>> functions, contract programming, unit testing, automatic documentation
>> generation, static if, delegates, dynamic closures, inner classes, modules,
>> garbage collection, scope guard?
>>
>> What does D have to do to have more power than C++?
>>

> I'm not a power programmer, so I can't talk much about what their needs are --
> it sounds like you've already gotten some good input on what could make it more
> powerful. However, I think D is already powerful enough to be a big hit.
>
> I'm going to go out on a limb and say Java isn't nearly as powerful as C/C++ is,
> but Java is more popular than C++ (according to http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm).

Hey, D is in #21, ahead of Ruby and Fortran! It's almost achieved 'B'
status. Although I doubt that index is very reliable. :-)

Once D gets IFTI it will be more powerful than C++0x in most respects.
The ability to make lightweight classes is the only other area where I
think C++ could claim a significant advantage.

I think we'll soon reach the point where D is completely limited by
libraries and IDE-type issues. Walter will probably get a bit frustrated
at that point, because he won't be able to do much about it...