[Just OT] (Was:) Re: copy/paste XP cmd

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Tue Mar 7 15:06:23 PST 2006

     OT

(This message contains no Serious content. It's just full of rants and
debris.)

"You on duty? Skip this!" Or at least mark it unread for now, and check
it out only tonight, if ever. You've been warned.

Matthew wrote:
> wrote in message
>> Matthew wrote:
>>> From: "Hasan Aljudy"

I know this constitutes digging in old archives.

> [...]

BT,DT.

Yup. I do that too. On W2k. And I take it that "since June of 04" means
no harddisk wipes and reinstalls since then. (See footnote #1)

(See a couple of paragraphs down in this mail.) This is a glaring
example of what's been discussed there.

>> I think there are far more people unhappy with linux than there are
>> people unhappy with windows.

OK, in a university class, granted. Then again, taken all computer users
together, let's just say that the number of people forced to use Linux
is smaller than the number of people forced to use Windows.

Outside these two forced groups, most Linux users use it out of Free
Will. It's their own choice, and the day they'd get fed up with Linux,
they'd switch back to Windows. No need to explain or tell anyone.

>> Go to any computer science lecture room/theater, and ask students
>> who uses windows and who uses linux! I think windows will always
>> win, at least in my university!

And?

>> Even better, ask how many people have linux installed, then ask
>> those people, how many of you actually use it? One prof asked us
>> this question once; about 13 people raised their hands for "I
>> installed linux on my machine",

I think folks have grown up with Windows. Shute, by this time, those
starting university have seen Windows everywhere for the last 10 to 15
years. Many of them don't honestly see a difference between Computer and
Windows.

So, trying out Linux means noticing any differences as "aw, lame copy",
instead of understanding that there really are "a million" ways of doing
the GUI. THINK, most of us live in countries with RH drive. So, you fly
to Ireland, go to Avis rent-a-car, and off you go. After the 3rd
crossing your blood pressure is high enough to not let you come to think
that these Natives may feel the same about driving in your country.

We: "Heck, 'round my place there's a Right side to the road. Here it
seems there's a right and a "right" side. Geez, who the hell ever gave
them permission to buy cars here in the first place before they got
their sides Right???"

>> and only _one_ person raised his hand for "I actually use it!".
>
> Sorry, but at what point did I even intimate that Linux was a
> preferred alternative, never mind mention it? You appear to be
> picking an argument with someone and supplying both sides of it.

:-)

> Surely a person has a right to say "Windows XP is shite" without

 From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

The word shite may refer to various things

     * A synonym for shit which originated from Ireland.
     * A shi'ite, that is, a believer in Shi'a Islam
     * The shite, the principal character in a Japanese Noh play
     * Shite, the person who performs the technique in Aikido.
     * Shite the Industrial band with strong Techno roots.

I suggest to spell it "shitt". Bit less of a chance to offend various
Aliens. By Bob! (If one wants to avoid adult filters, that is. Other
"filter safe" synonyms may be: dung, manure, stool, dropping, excrement,
feces, ... But I do admire your stamina in keeping this a Family Grade
Shite. Except for Friday Nights I can pull this off too, to some
extent.) ((( No offense, Matthew, I just had to say this, 't was too
tempting. ;-) )))

> being accused of having any opinion whatsoever on other operating
> system families, no?

What I particularly have a PROBLEM with, is the universal psychosis that
interprets Windows problems as "Gee, my computer is behaving again"
(subconsciously incriminating the hardware), or "Oh, manure! It's the
application, Bob, they're dung!", or "Bob-damned graphics drivers, I
think _microcomputers_aren't_ready_for_video_editing_" (this one
(paraphrased)(C) Walter, recently).

Never, ever, is it Windows or Microsoft.

((( I _hate_ their products, but I (grudginly must admit, in the name of
honesty,) that I don't have a problem with Bill Gates. )))

I too use W2k. Probably the last M$ "OS" I'll ever install.

Additionally I've got RH 9, 8, 7, 6, FC 4, Sun Java Desktop System (man,
if there ever was a more solid lie in a product name...!!!!), and W98
and W95 running. (I have 26 computers[sic] at home. And I haven't yet
listed all the operating systems currently in use. ;-) )

So, whenever anything crashes, "[Whatever happens to be the OS or
application] is sh.. er, excrement!" -- Unless it's W*, then one blames
whatever else -- without even noticing _themselves_. And *that's* what
I've a problem with.

> Or has moral relativism crept into IT? Bob, forfend ...

PC-IT: pick _your_ interpretation of _this_!

--- Footnontes:

(#1) In discussions of Windows one usually means the time one last
"formatted the hard drive"((#2)), whereas in Linux discussions this
means "last powered down, or rebooted" the machine.

(#2) The concept of "formatting" in Windows (or MSDOS) roughly
corresponds to make-file-system on Unix. The Unix Format concept is
comparable to Windows "low level format". These two forget the "real"
low level format, which (on modern IDE and SATA drives) is something
that only a Qualified repair workshop should do. (Things were different
with RLL and MFM drives, in the good Old Days. Oh, and anybody remember
hard- and soft-sectored floppies?)