Long-term evolution of D

Brian Hay bhay at construct3d.com
Wed Mar 8 20:45:59 PST 2006

Has anyone considered the long-term positive evolution of D, assuming a
successful version 1.0 release and growing interest?

If D is meant to be "a reengineering of C and C++" I think we also need
to adopt a post version 1.0 development paradigm different from that of
C and C++, otherwise we risk repeating the history of those languages
i.e. how do we avoid or minimize the problems of the past or is it folly
to even think we can - is the "F Programming Language" inevitable 2
decades from now?

I'm not talking about road maps and feature sets but moreso the
framework within which D will evolve as a language in the long-term in
order to avoid, as much as possible, the legacy crud, competing vested
interests and community fragmentation that begins to hamper language
development after a decade or so.

The specification of the D Programming Language is largely a one-person
effort, albeit with much community input, and I think at the present
time it benefits from this model, given Walter's extensive language
knowledge and compiler implementation experience. But what happens when
D does become the success we all know it can be? Is standardization
(ISO, ECMA etc) an option?

It might be too early to consider such things. Just a thought.

Brian.