D - more power than (really) needed !

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Wed Mar 8 15:05:41 PST 2006

"Craig Black" <cblack at ara.com> wrote in message
news:dun68p$30kv$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
> A lot of the bias towards OOP purism comes from Java vs. C++ comparisons,
> much more convincing than Anything vs. D.  Hopefully the simplicity and
> power of D can help to eliminate OOP purism.

The trouble with OOP is, well, not everything is an object. For example,
take the trig function sin(x). It's not an object. Of course, we could bash
it into being an object, but that doesn't accomplish anything but
obfuscation.

Sometimes, I think C++ went hard over in the opposite direction - nothing is
an object. OOP programming seems to be regarded as "oh, so 90's" by the
modern C++ crowd.

Every decade seems to have its programming buzzword:

60's: artificial intelligence
70's: structured programming
80's: user-friendly
90's: object oriented programming