Encryption in Phobos?

Chris Miller chris at dprogramming.com
Wed Mar 8 22:37:42 PST 2006

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 00:30:49 -0500, kinghajj
<kinghajj_member at pathlink.com> wrote:

> Does anyone else agree with me that Phobos should contain encryption
> functions?
> Many applications today encrypt their data, and it would be nice if
> Rijndael
> could be implemented in D. Even something simple like XTEA would
> suffice, in my
> opinion.

I guess it'd be ok to add encryption.

I wrote a RC4 module in D a long time ago but didn't release it mainly
becuase I'm not sure how legal it is. Like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rc4 says `The name "RC4" is trademarked,
however. The current status seems to be that "unofficial" implementations
are legal, but cannot use the RC4 name. RC4 is often referred to as
"ARCFOUR" (Alleged-RC4, because RSA has never officially released the
algorithm), to avoid possible trademark problems.` and `RC4 (or ARCFOUR)
is the most widely-used software stream cipher and is used in popular
protocols`.