Long-term evolution of D

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Thu Mar 9 02:15:22 PST 2006

Brian Hay wrote:

> The specification of the D Programming Language is largely a one-person
> effort, albeit with much community input, and I think at the present
> time it benefits from this model, given Walter's extensive language
> knowledge and compiler implementation experience. But what happens when
> D does become the success we all know it can be? Is standardization
> (ISO, ECMA etc) an option?

I've begun to think that the standardization process may simply not be a
good fit for software, simply because of how slow it is.  While it's a
welcome assurance that a language isn't going to change out from under
you, the alternative seems to be that it is unable to keep up with
changing requirements.  That said, I would be pleased to eventually see
D accepted as some sort of open standard, but perhaps not with the 5-10
year cycle apparently required by the ISO process.

Sean