D - more power than needed. Really?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Mar 9 05:21:21 PST 2006

Georg Wrede wrote:

> Heh, Practical Extraction and Reporting was all over the pages, the word
> Perl was sort-of incidental looking in comparison. In spite of being big
> (as in huge) today, Perl is also a thriving language. One thing that
> [come to think of it] advertises this is the version numbering. On my
> 0.8GHz laptop, Perl is 5.8.6. Being the pathological anarchist that
> Larry Wall is, he couldn't care less about striving to nice round
> version numbers. Which I think is actually an excellent principle. As a
> matter of fact, such would only become a dragstone if one hopes for
> unhindered renewal and improvement.

Larry Wall is actually quite careful about numbers and language...

As in http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2000/10/23/soto2000.html ("TPC4")

But unfortunately, Perl has been losing some ground to Python lately.

At least as a system adminstration language, which is where I use it.

Hopefully, Parrot will change all of that nonsense :-)

http://dev.perl.org/perl6/

--anders