Long-term evolution of D

Bruno Medeiros daiphoenixNO at SPAMlycos.com
Thu Mar 9 14:57:55 PST 2006

One question is interesting to put. Supposing we have this 1.0 release,
how will future releases (like 2.0) be like in terms of backwards
compatibility?

This I'd like to know, and I state already that I hope D doesn't get
clogged and stumped because of backwards-compatibility with 1.0 . This
would be redoing the mistakes that we see happening with C++ and with
with Java more recently (in this latter case to the extreme). In fact,
Java vs. C# is an interesting case study. Both languages have been
developed more or less to the same pace and set of features, yet Java
already got some ugly hacks in it's second iteration (Java 5.0) to
implement new features without breaking existing code (like the
"foreach" and @Override). Whereas C# is growing more smoothly and
cleaning, and in C# 3.0 we can already see some upcoming interesting
features (like LINQ, auto-type(var), co-rotines (yield)), which would be
near-impossible to put in Java, at least in a clean way.

Also, regardless, I hope we put every good feature we think about
already in D 1.0, and not let it for a "2.0" release. Even if such
feature be just in the spec and not yet implement in a compiler.

--
Bruno Medeiros - CS/E student