D - more power than (really) needed !

David Medlock noone at nowhere.com
Fri Mar 10 04:41:15 PST 2006

Thomas Kuehne wrote:

> Don Clugston schrieb am 2006-03-10:
>
>>OO has some great ideas. But overuse of OOP is a disaster. It's
>>unbelievably difficult to write good OO code on a large scale.
>

> So, how do you design/write lare scale projects?
>
> Thomas

I prefer data driven design.  Usually using a database but sometimes
using XML or other external format(scripting falls under this in some ways).

And by OOP I assume Don meant inheritance, since the other aspects are
not unique to it.

Outside of simple Shape examples in textbooks, implementation
inheritance has largely been a failure for reusable or easy to maintain
code.  OOP is supposed to be about black box reusability of objects,ie.
components but then its main claim to fame is a way to break that
abstraction.

see:
http://okmij.org/ftp/Computation/Subtyping/#Problem

-DavidM